Best Bakeries on the Cape and Islands
We always get asked where the best spots to grab a sweet treat on the Cape and Islands are, so we decided to put together a list of some of our favorites! Did we miss any? Leave a comment below!
- Pain D'Avignon (Hyannis) - founded in 1992, their goal was to recreate the Old World Traditions using baking techniques and recipes barely changed in centuries. At their bakery, the timeless art of bread making is well respected. Every day, flour, salt, and water are combined to make fresh bread. They take pride in the time and effort put into making each individual loaf of bread.
Photo by @paindavignoncafe
- Eat Cake 4 Breakfast (Brewster) - food should always be fun and delicious. Since 2015, Eat Cake 4 Breakfast believes in using the highest quality ingredients. Pastry Chef and owner Danielle Nettleton realized baking was her calling when she responded to an ad for a "nighttime baker". Since then, she has traveled to Paris, France to work alongside some of the best talents in the world. While valuing classic French Pastries, she stays true to her American roots and creates pastries every foodie can enjoy. Be sure to taste their famous Brewster Buns!
Photo by @eatcake4breakfast
- Back Door Donuts (Oak Bluffs, MV) - in the summer of 1948, Back Door Donuts was established. From what started as a bakery that was known to toss a donut or two out the back door in the wee hours of the morning, to a secret known to only those "in the know," quickly became a must-do for Vineyard residents and visitors. The smell from the kitchen engulfs Circuit Ave and customers line up, at times by the hundreds. The bakery is open Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday - Sunday, with the back door being open 7 pm-12 am on weekdays and 7 pm-1 am weekends.
Photo by @backdoordonuts
- PB Boulangerie Bistro (South Wellfleet) - a taste of France on Cape Cod. Chef Philippe Rospoli prides himself on combining European techniques with simple recipes, along with skill and passion to create specialty hand-crafted products using only the best natural ingredients. Stop by to taste their delicious croissants, pastries, tarts, bread, and more!
Photo by @pbboulangeriebistro
- AMIE Bakery (Osterville) - a small, specialty bakery with everything made from scratch. Amie Smith, the baker behind it all, uses local ingredients to make traditional pastries, classic breakfast and lunch items, homemade sodas, and ice cream floats. Think of it as the town's kitchen, where delicious food is served in a place no one wants to leave.
Photo by @aimebakery
- Maison Villatte (Falmouth) - a cozy, rustic French bakery located on Main Street in Falmouth. Delicious bread, croissants, and pastries are baked fresh daily. Stop by and sit inside or out with a mouthwatering treat and morning coffee!
Photo by @migenadulaj
- Portuguese Bakery (Provincetown) - located in the heart of Provincetown since 1900, the Portuguese Bakery started out as a serving hub to feed the growing community and fishermen. The business has been passed through a few families and is now operated by George and Chuck. Recipes are handed down from generation to generation, even from the original founders of the bakery in 1901. A busy morning at the bakery is most likely due to their mouthwatering Malassadas. They are closed for the season, but be sure to stop by when they reopen for Easter 2022!
Photo by @whowhatwhit
- Hole In One Bakery (Eastham & Orleans) - come eat at "the place where locals go." Pick from eighteen different styles of donuts, as well as an assortment of muffins, croissants, and bagels. Their delicious pastries and cookies are perfect for a meal anytime. Don't forget about coffee and espresso, all located right on Route 6!
Photo by @theholeinone_orleans
- White Lion Baking (Mashpee) - owner and chef Elizabeth Miles combined her love of baking and clean eating into White Lion Baking Company. She since has expanded it into a reputable, certified gluten-free household name. Stop by or order online year-round for custom to everyday treats, such as muffins, cookies, cakes, biscuits and buns, and more!
Photo by @whitelionbaking
- Captain Baker Donut (West Dennis) - from what started as a penny candy store, to The Rose Victorian, to a carriage house became a town favorite, Captain Baker Donut Shop. Their donut shop is focused on creating memories for you and your family while enjoying fresh, delicious donuts, egg sandwiches, coffee, and tea! All donuts are made daily and allergen-friendly. Stop by to taste and see their delicious donuts being made and decorated!
Photo by @curveslikeadonut
- Marion’s Pie Shop (Chatham) - established in 1947 and started off selling chicken pot pies right from her own kitchen in Chatham. Today, you can also enjoy both fruity and savory pies all baked fresh daily!
- Woolfie's Bakery (Dennis Port) - Woolfie's has been in business for over 50 years, as a seasonal, family breakfast bakery. They serve fresh and warm baked goods that keep customers coming back every season! They are committed to quality, freshness, and service with a smile. Stop by Woolfie's for a to-go morning coffee, muffin, breakfast pastry, or grilled breakfast sandwich.
Photo by @woolfiesbakery
- Black Dog Bakery (Vineyard Haven & Falmouth) - visit the Water Street bakery for a fresh stop for breakfast, lunch, or a quick snack while on the go. Opened in 1973, the bakery was where the first Black Dog t-shirts were sold. Their freshly baked cookies, ginger snaps, pumpkin-cream cheese muffins, decadent desserts, and scones are just a few of their many sweet treats. Make sure you stop by The Heights Cafe in Falmouth for fresh pastries sent over daily from the Vineyard!
Photo by @theblackdogbakerycafe
- Washashore Bakery - owner and baker Sandy McPherson, found her calling on a whim at Ballymaloe Cookery School in Ireland where she fell in love with the kitchen and decided baking was her dream. Washashore Bakery is currently looking for a new home. Stay tuned on their social media to see where they end up! PS once they reopen, we recommend trying their staple item, Cinnamon Buns.
Photo by @washashorebakery
- Pie in the Sky (Woods Hole) - located in historic Woods Hole, at the end of the Shining Sea Bike Path and a 1-minute walk from the Martha's Vineyard ferry, Pie in the Sky Bakery is open 7 days a week, 364 days a year. They offer a delicious assortment of handmade croissants, pies, cookies, popovers, and breads all baked from scratch on the premises. All coffee and espresso are made from freshly ground beans, and their hearty, made-to-order sandwiches, soups, and salads make the perfect addition to any shoreside picnic. Come enjoy their courtyard garden and taste the goodness that's been "Baked in the Hole since 1982."
Photo by @a_couple_fatties
- The Chocolate Rose (Mashpee) - from cake artistry to fine pastries, they have something for everyone. Pastry Chef Vanessa creates stunning masterpieces, she's even created two special cakes for us! PS a must-try item on their menu are the lemon coconut scones.
Photo by @chocolaterosecakes
- Little Miss Cupcape (Hyannis) - don't miss out on one of Chef Taylor's sweets made using only the finest ingredients with real butter, cream, cocoa, sugar, and pure vanilla. All of her homemade cupcake confections and decadent delights are baked from scratch daily. Come in for homemade cupcakes, custom cakes, and even edible cookie dough. PS our favorite cupcake flavor is the Cape Coconut, but after seeing this picture, next time we are trying the s'mores!
Photo by @littlemisscupcape